Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

Plugin Woes


Oh the plugin woes. Chrome OS is wonderful it truly is however, it has some serious drawbacks. The lack of native plugin support is truly frustrating. Things like QuickTime and Xvid for starters. Then there is Silverlight and random proprietary plugins used on premium websites as well (Xfinity TV streaming is a big blow for me).

Things like native client and other avenues may play out in the future to allow said plugins but for now us Chrome OS users are stuck dealing with websites that simply do not work on our Chromebooks.  I look forward to the day that I can ditch my other computers in my house and run completely in the cloud and completely using Chrome OS. No matter what no one can deny that the Chromebooks are shaping up to be amazing even with said drawbacks.

2 comments:

Ben said...

good to know. i think i will wait til they are less beta when i get one. i cant wait to be all google and cloud myself

TCR3000 said...

Just had a Chromebook after my Laptop died on me.How nice it is not to wait for my laptop to boot up/update etc...
Yes it`s frustrating when an App doesn`t work...no plugin etc.
But it`s nice to be an owner of a Chromebook and see how it evolves from beta.
I have no regret in buying my Chromebook and now wouldn`t go back to a Windows Laptop.
So if some people are in two minds in buying a Chromebook...well your losing out.

Post a Comment